Grill up some veggies for July 4th. If you think of vegetarian grilling as second best, think again. The smokiness that turns a good burger into a great one performs the same magic with plant-based foods.
Practically anything that can be broiled can be grilled, provided it is large and firm enough to stay atop the grid. Besides corn in the husk and whole baking potatoes, which have long been barbecue staples, good choices include:
- Portobello mushrooms (whole)
- Eggplant (horizontally sliced or peeled and vertically sliced)
- Zucchini (horizontally or vertically sliced)
- Fennel (vertically sliced through the base)
- Red peppers (seeded, vertically quartered and flattened)
- Beets (horizontally sliced)
- Endive or radicchio (sectioned through the base)
- Tomatoes (vertically halved if plum tomatoes, horizontally sliced if beefsteak)
- Small artichokes (whole and parboiled first for best results)
- Small onions such as cippolines (whole)
- Medium sized red or Spanish onions (vertically sliced through the base)
- Extra firm tofu (“pressed” first)
Read more in NRDC’s This Green Life.